In Düsseldorf last night, after our tour of the Fachochschule there (technical school), we went to one of the Düsseldorf breweries, called Schlüssel (Key), and they had really cool glasses, and our waiter was great! After dinner, I wanted to buy a glass as a souvenir (why wouldn’t I?? it has a picture of those old-style keys on it!!) so I went to the front counter where there were a bunch of worker boys working away (doing what besides busy work, I couldn’t really tell) so I just waited for them to pay attention to me. That never happened, so this waiter guy came around and asked me what I wanted and I told him I wanted to buy a glass. So he goes over and picks one up and gives it to me. I try to give him my 2-euro coin for it, but he turned it down and waived me towards the door. SWEET!! Bridget and I decided it was because he was an older man and I was female. So in summation, I made successful use of my wiles in securing the merchandise, free-of-charge. Score.
I feel like my English is getting worse. I have to dumb everything down enough so that I know how to say close to what I want to say, in German.
Tired. So tired. If any of you were wondering, that’s why my blog entry was so boring last night. (sorry about that) I went to bed at midnight last night, so I don’t know what’s my problem... We were all super tired today. Didn’t help that we went to TWO MUSEUMS. Don’t get me wrong, they were interesting, but when you’re tired and you’ve been on your feet all day, it does not bode well for your mood. I was kinda restless/cranky.
The past two days, groups of us have gone to Aldi (which is THE place to be, in Deutschland!!) and bought sandwich stuffs. I love paying only 1.50 euros for lunch. Well anyways, Bridget wanted to buy detergent. Because, even though at the beginning of our time here we all swore that we could last without doing laundry until we get to our respective cities, we broke down, and now all of us want to do laundry. Since we’re leaving Köln so soon after arriving ("so soon" = 2 weeks), we don’t want to mess up a lot of our packed clothes, so we’ve been kinda wearing the same three outfits. And we all feel so disgusting. SO, Bridget was buying detergent yesterday. We get back to the hostel later in the evening, and we realize what she bought was softener. BLAAAH!! But when we went to Aldi today, we got the right stuff. Woot woot.
So yesterday in class, Herr Mainke read off a list of stuff that was horrible, or detestable. Then he had us all say which among them we liked the least, and I ended up saying Nacktbadestrände (nude beaches). And THEN he told us we had to make a presentation today about why whatever we picked was awesome! I felt bad for the people that chose Hundekacke (dog poop) and Schlafzimmermücke (mosquitos). Lol, but it was kinda interesting hearing why people liked what they actually didn’t. One kid picked discos, and that was no joke, he really does detest discos.
I feel like everybody here’s getting cabin fever. I heard two of the girls snipping at each other. I don’t know about the boys, though. I feel like they’re pretty chill about everything, but I could be wrong.
This just occurred to me: I am the international student. Whenever I think of international students, I picture an indian or asian kid who has a funny accent and can’t say too many things. But in this case, I’M that kid!! It’s kinda blown my mind, thinking about how I must sound to the Deutschens. (speaking of Deutschens, I referenced them while talking about something on the train, but it was REALLY LOUD, and everybody else was afraid that I was gonna get jumped or something lol.)
I got fish for dinner. And it was indeed a fish. Straight from the crik. Raw. Disgusting. I tried it. I really did. I even tried to chew it. It was terrible. Poor Nathan, he took one look at my face when I put the bite in my mouth, and promptly traded his food for mine. What a guy. If I made medals, he would've gotten a medal of honor or something, taking a hit like that. Outstanding.
Pictures will come as soon as I have the motivation to upload them to the internet. Most of them are currently on my computer, but there's a lot. There's also a lot of dumb ones. One day in class I just started taking surreptitious pictures of the other students, and then Bridget started doing the same, so it's just turned into a thing where everyone tries to take the worst pictures of the others as possible. It's pretty awesome. :D
No comments:
Post a Comment