4/15/11

Siemens. They're a pretty big deal.

From the start today, I was better able to maintain consciousness at work. Thanks in part goes to the yummy, chewable bar of vanilla chocolate I had at my desk. Maybe it's just something about coming in at 7 that gets to me... Over my last co-op quarters at Aurora, when I came in everyday at 7 AM, there was maybe a handful of days when it wasn't an epic struggle to keep awake. I like 8 or 9 o'clock better. :) I'm already spoiled by the mere 8 minute walk to work everyday. It's kind of ridiculous when compared to my work time at Aurora. With that commute, I'd leave home in the morning a little after 6, and in the evening I'd eventually get home around 5. Talk about exhausting. Here, I'm still in bed asleep at 6 AM, and already home from work after a fully completed work day at 5 PM. (local time, of course)
I'm also glad we have a cafeteria here. I would get so jealous of Erik when he would talk about eating lunch at work. Because at Aurora, there was no cafeteria (probably because Aurora is so tiny. Cook and Siemens are HUMONGUS, so a feed-and-water hole somewhere on the premesis is probably a good idea, just so there isn't a major Stau (traffic jam) outside every gate come lunch time), so if one wanted food, one either had to drive out to civilization, or bring it yourself. The best part was that it took 12, 15 minutes to drive anywhere that provided good food. So a full hour lunch was expected. Here, it takes 5 minutes to walk to food, so as soon as I get back from lunch, I'm back to work. I kinda like that. so Lunch takes anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes, depending on the circumstances. Yesterday I ate a pizza with corn on it!!! It was actually good!!!

The vending machines at work dispense GLASS bottles!! I cringe every time the drink thunks down to the slot. Also, there is no Pfand, so every drink is cheaper here. on the downside, you don't get that 25 cents when you return the bottle to the Pfand station.

Typing on a german keyboard is sooooo weird. did I mention this before? well anyways, the y and the z are switched, and the question mark is in the wrong spot. everytime that I have to press the 'z' key, my pinky gets excited because that key it IT'S job! and it does that job well... but only on an english keyboard :( hopefully the cultural expansion of my left hand pinkie finger doesn't take long. after all, it should be excited that it now gets to press a more frequently used letter when I type in English at work! Dude, the shift, the, 'a,' AND the 'y'!?!? my pinkie will think it has died and gone to heaven! And the CAPS LOCK button here even works on the number keys!!!!!!!!

So this post ended up being mostly about work. Sorry. That's what's happening over here at the moment. I'm going to try to find more fun places to eat around here, this weekend. Too bad Mary's at her parents' again, cuz we could have torn up this town. In that respect, I suppose it's better that she is gone... haha! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment