6/28/11

Bees, Lights, Food, Grammar, Caffeine, Blood, and Spelling. Could I BE more random?!

I woke up to my alarm, then heard an angry buzzing. It sounded like a huge fly drunkenly attacking the window trying to get out. Then I fell back asleep for about half an hour, came drowsily back into consciousness, and the buzzing sounded like a stream of water coming from the faucet in the bathroom and heavily landing on drain. And I exclaimed, "gosh, why is there SO much WATER?!" then I realized where I was and what was actually making the noise. I went to the window, and it was a bee! Failing miserably in trying to fly through the window. It was extremely single-minded in executing its "full steam ahead" attack plan against the window panes. It was slightly comical, lol. I rescued him, at any rate.

I like it when they leave the lights off at work. Especially in the morning, when all the blinds are most of the way drawn (to reduce glare on the computer monitors), because if the lights are on, it seems like winter: too artificially bright for the time of day and a little bit claustrophobic. Whenever I'm in a setting where the inside lights are the main source of illumination during the day (such as while it's super cloudy or stormy or wintery outside), it takes me back to elementary school. Don't know why. But I can guess that it's because we had inside recess in these cases, so I especially hated the über-illuminated classroom walls at that point in time. Just a thought.

Once again, I bought a pastry to eat at Frühstückspause, and what happens? They FEED us at work! At least this time I could leave the pastry off until lunchtime, since I packed my lunch. Brilliant plan? Yes, but only if I ever GOT hungry enough for lunch, which didn’t happen at all. You see, I decided to not let all these tenured engineers trample me on the way to the food this time, and I finally got the weißwurst instead of the leberkäse. Two weißwurst, plus one Butterbrezen (soft pretzel with butter in the middle . . . a butter sandwich!!! Better than Mayonnaise sammiches, but not much . . . haha!), plus one orange lemonade = full belly. I would have preferred the leberkäse, anyways!

Speaking of Weißwurst. Apparently one is not supposed to consume the skin. I ate half of one wurst, then looked around, and the others were peeling the skin off of the wurst before eating it! Oops.

Willner came to me once with the document whose English translation I corrected. He had a few questions, one of which brought up the subject of ending a sentence with a preposition. Ohh boy. He thought it was okay, and I very adamantly told him that it was grammatically wrong to do that. He was confused, because he thought it was right. Since it goes against everything that was said by every literature teacher I’ve ever had, I said no. It is wrong. And he looked down at the paper and said, “Okay. I go home now…” He was laughing as well, so I didn’t worry too much. :D

The coffee must have been strong today. Herr Bengl usually gets coffee, and I got a whiff of it. Whoo boy. That was enough caffeine for me to drive away the post-lunch drowsiness! Jeepers.

Had a bloody nose at work again, but this time the girl who sits in the corner (and who before yesterday I hadn't seen at work in about a month-and-a-half... NO clue why) came into the bathroom when I was in there, and we spoke for the first time. lol! and when she left, she asked something about them happening often, and I said the nosebleeds happen a lot, and she said whaaaaat, and left. I checked my nose, and the bleeding had stopped! And the girl re-entered the bathroom with an ice pack, and I was like Thanks, but it's done already. Good thing, too, since I wouldn't have had a clue about what to do with the ice pack.

Ashamed Admission of the Day: I never really knew how to really spell the capital of Kentucky. I was devastated to learn today that it's spelled Frankfort. Despair.

1 comment:

  1. on prepositions: i think it is technically 'legal' to end a sentence with a preposition, but since many people will think you are dumb if you do, i generally avoid it.

    also, sorry to say, i mostly skipped paragraph 3, due to the abundance of German words.

    i am super jealous of your caffeine sensitivity though! on days when i am tired, i have accidentally fallen asleep immediately after finishing a mountain dew!

    AND don't feel bad about the Kentucky thing. i couldn't even remember what it was until you told us!

    finally, GUESS WHAT HAPPENS IN THREE DAYS?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?! WOOP! WOOP! any special snacks you would like us to bring you at the aero-puerto?

    ReplyDelete