5/2/11

5/2, AND 4/26

Karin Koenig, I let it be known to you that Germany is DHL heaven. I advise you to write up a living will and pay your last respects to everyone back home you know and love before coming to visit me, for you will surely die of happiness.

Dibs on your laptop ;-D

my fingers are slowly adapting to the german keyboard. Last night, after getting back in town after Stuttgart, I was IMing a few peeps, and I kept shifting to try to get an apostrophe. I hadn't realized that I was becoming so accustomed to that part of the keyboard! But I'm kind of proud of my fingers :D

I kind of like this open workspace, no-cubicle thing these Germans got goin' on... It's much more friendly than the set-up at Aurora. Or at least, that's my initial feeling. At Aurora, everybody was either shut in their own office, or in a cubicle-esque corner of the open room. Here, it's very easy to have a conversation with someone across the room without leaving your desk. Apparently it's kind of normal for that to happen, since it does probably once or twice a week. The first day I was here, my boss did that, and at first, I was like, "who is he talking to??"


So I realized I had text that I never got around to posting on my blog. So here it is:

4/26

Already I'm liking this new desk better... I have a clear view of the analog clock on the wall. Now I have a visual translation for the time to compare with the clock on the computer, which of course is in military time. Military time is probably easier to figure when adding or subtracting hours, but when you've grown up with one system your whole life for figuring time, it's really hard to change gears. It's getting easier as time (haha) passes, but it's still pretty tough.

I had a really hard time falling asleep last night. The only way I can tell that I slept is that I remember dreaming, somewhat. It was probably only for about two or three hours. Sadness. But oddly enough, today at work I wasn't drowsy. I felt horrible, sure, but I wasn't sleepy. sleepy IS NOT EQUAL TO exhausted, that’s for sure.

It's cloudy outside today. It's almost bizarre to see, since every day (except for one) since I've gotten here has been completely sunny!

So, back to that "I'm not tired thing" ...I drank some coffee today. GASP!! Yeah, it happened. And everytime I drink coffee, I feel like I'm part of the same club as Erik's parents: just enough coffee to liquify the sugar. YUMMY!!!!!! Though I do feel slightly ridiculous ripping open 8 little packets of sugar. I think I'll start bringing my own sugar, in case I ever require coffee, such as today. And since I put milk in it as well, my coffee didn't stay hot very long :( sadness.

When I don't sleep right, my eyes are the first things which hate me. but ther're forgiving, so they don't hate me for very long. It's my stomach that holds a grudge. Because when I don't sleep right, I don't eat right. I also load up on caffeine to keep me going (usually. there have been some strange times where I didn't even drink a rock star but I still managed over 24+ hours of consciousness... we engineers come from hardy stock.), and so it hates me for making it process stuff like 10000% more coffee than usual

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with my eyes hating me when I don't get enough sleep, but I usually resort to eye drops which help. And then I eat not as well as I should because food is comfort. Man, are we twins? Seems like we think the same way! And I love milk in my coffee, but it doesn't stay hot as you said. what a shame... now if we could just steam our milk, that's a brilliant idea! ;)

    ReplyDelete