5/26/11

Und so, nach Rom!

My roommate and I made Wednesday “Englische Tag.” Because we’ve been speaking mainly German to each other, she wanted a chance to work on her English! So after I come back from work, we were talking for about 15 minutes, when she stops and said “...I think I like English day!”

One of the guys who works on the ground floor came through my office. Recall how I said that everyone who walks through the office sorta greets the room? This guy grew up in Canada so he's a little differnt from the other guys.He said "Morgen... Mahlzeit.... Servus... " and mumbled on, so I chuckled. I don't think any of the Germans appreciated the humor.

A fine prize to whoever guesses what I got in the mail before I tell you... okay, I’m telling you now... My wonderful roommates sent me a PACKAGE!!!!! BAAAAAH!!! It’s filled with wonderous (junk) food, and goodies!! Inhalt: two bags of chocolate chip cookies (homemade by who I assume was Grace), nacho cheesier doritos, smart food popcorn (ahh, my lieblings!), oreos, A SHIRT THAT SMELLS LIKE ERIK (and his house), many many drawings of what life is like at Mr. Tuxedo without me (seems sad and pointless... JUST KIDDING), a happy birthday banner, a stuffed animal horse (??? what!?), and a tiny pot with plant seeds in it. FUN!! Those drawings were very appreciated. I love them. They would go on my wall if I had some way to hang them up. And I bit into one of the cookies, which to me just looked like they were fat cookies, but NO! They were PREGNANT!! With oreos!!!! Intense. Mary likes them too lol. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! :D

Yesterday, Frau Otto (one of the contracted engineers) brought in two different cakes. Because guess what? She had a birthday on Saturday! Interesting! I got the chance to tell her that Friday was mine (without treading on her feet about it), and then she shared that her sister had a birthday on Wednesday, but ALSO gave birth to a daughter! What a birthday present! haha :D So anyways, I think it was Christie who asked me, but I think I have an answer for her finally: Yes, I do believe that Germans make as big of a deal about Birthdays as Americans do. Everybody comes up to you and shakes your hand and says "Alles gute zum Geburtstag," or "Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag!" and if the cakes are any indicator, then yes, Germans definitely like birthdays. :)

Today at work there was a sort of turning point with my project. The boss man decided that the weird numbers we were getting for all the theoretical calculations actually kind of make sense. Or at least it was unlikely that we would prove them to be erroneous. Soooo we can move forward! My next task is to tidy up my excel sheet. Wooo hoo. :D That will have to start next week, since tomorrow, I go to Rome! Therefore, (ahem, GRACE whateveryourmiddlenameis GILLES!!) do not get upset about there not being a post about it until Tuesday. YOU relax!!

On that note, I’m off to pack!! Please pray that Bridget and I have a safe and fun-filled trip. But I would be okay if it just ended up being safe, if it couldn’t be fun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment