Wow. What a response I received regarding precious memories and the tunes that go with them! If only the discussion could have been in the comments section... While I really enjoy seeing all the perspectives of the Koenig clan, I can't help but wonder what the remainder of the populace (read: my friends who have stuck with this blog thus far) thinks about this subject, and if they have any similar experiences.
Unca Ken's warning about memory/tune cross-pollination is valid, and Carrie's vehement exclamation of "NO CLAIRE!!! DON'T DO IT!" will be seriously considered, but I must also acknowledge the opposing argument. Well, it's not really "opposing" anything... it seems to be an unspoken agreement among my people that the integrity of the Boat Record/Tape/CD MUST BE MAINTAINED AT ALL COSTS. Carrie and Unca Ken (my interpretation) took this to mean that application rights of this music should not be abused by listening to it when more than 20 yards away from a Body of Water*, or if more than 20 yards away from a Automobile that is heading straight to or from said Body of Water. [*Body of Water: Primarily A) The Kentucky River, or B) Dale Hollow Lake; Secondarily Any body of water on which a nautical vessle is harbored, for the purpose of rest, relaxation, and the consumption of Tiddly Pinkity Hanky Tanks] Cousins Kelby and Russell seemed to support to this rule, and suggested that I add this acoustic scrapbook to my library of music, just as long as I enjoy it as "it was always intended to be heard," as an album, start to finish, in its entirity. Russell put it best when he said "I must agree with my older brother on the notion of all or none. This is to spare yourself the disappointment of coming to the end until the end is supposed to come. That would be like listening to Freebird and then turning it off just as the guitar solo begins. Or to put it another way, hearing a lively "Old Dan Tucker" without rounding it out with a mild "Mandy Lee I Love You 'Deed I Do"."
I must say that I quite agree. Therefore, I end this quandary by deciding that I will very respectfully put the music in question on the ol' iPod. And only listen to the songs as part of the whole collection. It's really for the best. With that rule in place, I can't see myself ruining a perfectly good work-oriented mood with blissful vacationing thoughts. Fellow Deweys, have no fear! It will indeed be "all or none," and NOT while visions of flat plate orifices are dancing before my eyes.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeletehey, this blog said nothing about inertia! i demand a refund!
ReplyDelete